Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wipies!!


There's something about being a new mom and developing a new language. Its called the baby talk...maybe its because they are so tiny and ya love em to pieces that every word now ends with "es". My father-in-law is the "king" of baby talk....he loves to "squeezes" the baby "cheekes". Truly it is a whole new world of using vocabulary. Now, that I got that off my mind here is the reason for this entry. To encourage mommy readers everywhere to make your own baby wipes!! Not only does it save you money, but you control what comes in contact with that sweet baby skin. It's actually fun to do which is always a bonus!!


HOMEMADE BABY WIPES


What you'll need:


1 roll standard paper towels (I like the select-a- size, Bounty works best)
1 tablespoon oil (skin-friendly oil, I use almond oil)
1 tablespoon soap or baby wash (I like Dr Bronner's Unscented Baby Mild)
1 cup warm water

1-2 drops of your favorite essential oils (I use lavender and *Baby Me)
*(Butterfly Expressions Oil Blend)

1 3-qt capacity reusable sealable container (I use an empty baby wipe container)



How to make them:



1. Slice paper towel roll in half so you have two toilet paper size rolls; set aside unused portion for next batch of baby wipes. Start by unrolling and layering in container. (If not using select-a- size roll you make need to cut the squares in half to get them to fit in container) Continue layering until container is full.


2. Fill measuring cup with 1 cup warm water. Add to paper towels.Then add the oil and soap (or baby wash.) **Note - if you put the oil and soap in before the water, you'll end up with a bubbly mess). Add a few drops of essential oil. Pour mixture evenly over roll. Cover container. Shake it all up and wait at least five minutes before using to allow for maximum absorption of water.


3. Use as needed,usually just one or two can do the trick! I can make up to 3 average size wipe containers and 3 travel size containers for on the go with just one paper towel roll.

A standard sized roll of Bounty will yield 56 wipes per batch (that's 112 wipes per roll). If you buy a roll that has the smaller "customizable" perforations, you'll get even more wipes.


Play around with measurements.....if they're too dry add more water next time. If they're too wet add less. You'll catch on after a few trial runs. Enjoy!!

Preparation time: About 5 minutes



4 comments:

Michelle said...

It's funny you posted that. When I helped my mom watch Haven, I commented on how I thought her baby wipes smelled really good. Thanks. We should have a day where we make a bunch of this stuff you're posting.

Erin Spenc said...

Awesome! I am so glad to know this trick!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Sounds fun. Now I just need a child. Hmmm, where can I find one of those?

You're awesome Jill. Keep posting!

Annie

Shannon said...

Wow jill that is awesome. You should have a wipe making party! I would love to come. You amaze me.