Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Colors of the Rainbow



Growing up my mom always wanted to add more color to the dish she was preparing. It really did make it look more mouthwatering. I mentioned in the last post about a book titled "Naturally Healthy First Foods." I loved that the author broke foods down to colors and encouraged the reader to fill their shopping cart with a "Colorful Mosaic of Foods." It was helpful when shopping to try to pick something from each group. Here's the breakdown:

RED
beets tomatoes strawberries watermelon cherries raspberries apples


ORANGE
carrots sweet potatoes oranges squash peaches yams mango


YELLOW
corn bananas pineapple yellow bell peppers yellow plums


GREEN
broccoli cucumber green pepper zucchini peas avocado leafy greens


BLUE
blueberries grapes raisins figs


PURPLE
plums blackberries eggplant


WHITE
onions cauliflower garlic parsnips

3 comments:

leah said...

Thanks Jill. I love this post. Did you get the e-mail about how certain foods help certain parts of the body? I will forward it just in case. xoxox

BECKY said...

You're fabulous! Can you just do all my shopping and cooking? Serious though, I love your posts!

Treasuring Life's Little Moments... said...

I sure wish I would have had the twins AFTER you had Haven. Now I'm getting all your good advice after it's too late! We all LOVE St George! If Rich can find a job up there we will move there. If you guys ever hear of anything let us know. The only thing I'm not sure of is the schools. Does Adam know how they are?