Friday, May 15, 2009

Mmmm...Blueberry Almond Muffins

When Adam and I decided to make some major changes and implement a "Vegan" diet, I felt like I stepped into an unknown world of ...what do I eat? I came across some really great cookbooks "How it all Vegan" and "The Garden of Vegan" by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer. (Caution:It's a bit edgy, but extremely simple to understand) They were really helpful in making the transition into the "Veganism"(I think that's a word!!) Anyway, to make a long story short.... We love trying new recipes from our cookbooks. We love the Blueberry Muffin Recipe and we've given it our own touch -- almonds. Haven's super helpful when mommy cooks she loves to put the muffin papers in the pan and she gets to lick the bowl!! (No eggs, so no worries:) Eat 'em up, yum yum!!

BlueBerry Almond Muffins

1 Cup Soymilk (milk substitute)
1 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Flour (I use whole wheat)
*1/4 Cup Wheat Germ
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt (I use Sea Salt)
Egg Replacer, equal to 1 egg
( I use 1/4 cup applesauce or 1/2 banana mashed)
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Dry Sweetner (I use pure cane sugar)
1 Cup fresh or frozen blueberries
*1/2 tsp Almond Extract
*chopped sliced almonds as much as desired

Preheat oven to 400. In a medium bowl, stir together the soy milk and rolled oats and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and wheat germ. Stir in the egg replacer, oil,sweetner and add the oat mixture. Then I add the almond extract and sliced almonds. Gently stir in the blueberries (do not overmix) and spoon into muffin pan (lightly oiled if not using muffin papers) and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12 regualr sized muffins.

*Check out vegweb.com to find other great vegan/vegetarian recipes, link on the right

No comments: