Monday, December 1, 2008

No gobble

I really wanted to post this recipe even though it's now too late for serving at your Thanksgiving feast. It's a great recipe and maybe you can try it for Christmas or save it for next year. It turns out more like a tofurkey loaf (meat loaf) but it still takes the place of the turkey on my plate. If you're still wondering what on earth is a tofurkey --- its when tofu is used to create a substitute turkey. Maybe you've seen them in the stores and they do resemble more of a turkey but hey its always better homemade anyway, right? Try it and let me know what you think. 


TOFURKEY  

3 c onion (diced)
1 1/2 c celery (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)

2  15 oz Firm Tofu
2 c Cashews

1 c water
2 Tbsp Arrowroot powder or potato/corn starch

1 tsp Celery seed
1/2 tsp dried Sage, Thyme, Marjoram
2-3 Tbsp Soy sauce (I use Bragg's liquid aminos)
Sea salt and Poultry Seasoning to taste

Saute onions,celery and garlic in olive oil. Crumble tofu in med mixing bowl . Grind cashews in blender or food processor. Add cashew powder to tofu. In separate bowl mix starch and water, then add to tofu. Combine the rest of ingredients and mix everything together. Pour into a greased loaf pan or 9x13 dish. Cook at 350 for 1 hr or until light brown on top. 

* Freeze tofu the night before. Place tofu cube in freezer bag . To thaw; place bag in a bowl of hot water. Squeeze out any excess water before crumbling. 

Serve with gravy!! Makes great leftovers for sandwiches.

3 comments:

leah said...

Hey Jill. I am so glad to hear from you. I keep checking your other site to see if you guys have posted and find nothing. I hope you are doing well. Hope Thanksgiving was super. xoxo
leah

mama k said...

Sounds interesting!

You won the drawing on the Nature Mom's blog so keep an eye out for my email (from Non-Toxic Tots)
:)

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Hey Jill,

I forgot to tell you that I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago. We thought it was delicious! It reminded me more of stuffing than tofurkey because it didn't hold its loaf shape too well. And it made great leftovers! Thanks for the yummy recipe

p.s we miss you guys :(